What is gum contouring, and why should you get it?
Not everyone gets mansions in their inheritance, some people get uneven gum lines. If you are one of the unfortunate souls, we have a solution for you. A process to help you get the flawless smile, a process to get rid of low gum lines. Gum contouring, or also widely known as gum reshaping.
Uneven gums never harm your oral health in any way, however, some people think that it spoils their smile. We think you are beautiful anyway. If you still want to get rid of those excess gums, you need to know about gum contouring.
What is Gum Contouring?
Gum contouring is a cosmetic treatment to reshape your gum line by removing excess tissues around the teeth. The gum contouring process consists of two steps i.e. removing and restoring gum tissues.
Dentists seldom recommend this treatment for the sake of oral health. However, if you have any kind of periodontal disease, gum contouring might be helpful.
When should you get a gum contouring treatment?
You cannot just get dental treatment because you feel like getting it. These are the conditions that make you eligible for the treatment.
- A prescribed drug had caused the gum line to get lower than it was ever before.
- You were born with an extremely low gum line.
- You are facing gum recession i.e. gums steeping too high and teeth appear longer.
Still, it is not obligatory to get a gum contouring treatment, unless you are suffering from gum recession (which would lead to severe dental problems). The majority of the people choose gum contouring to further enhance their smiles.
Gum contouring process
This treatment is performed by either a cosmetic dentist or a periodontist and normally takes one to two hours in a single dental visit.
- The treatment starts with an anesthetic shot, leaving the gumline numb. So, it won’t hurt!
- If you have receded gum line, tissues from the other part of the mouth are added and then resculpt the gum line.
- If you have excess tissues, a laser helps in removing excess tissues and reshaping the gum line around the tooth.
Gum contouring aftercare
- There is a possibility that your dentist will prescribe some medicines for swollen gums. Take them as your dentist asks.
- Also, brush gradually.
- Do not eat food that puts pressure on your teeth. Rather have some soup, and yogurt (or follow your dentist’s instructions).
- An ice pack will also reduce swelling and pain.
All of this post-treatment care is vital for the first 2-4 days. And the gums might take a week to heal.
How much does gum contouring cost in Dallas?
A normal gum contouring treatment can cost you around $50 to $400 per tooth, depending on the complexity of the treatment. As this treatment belongs to cosmetic dentistry, your insurance might not be able to cover it. However, if it is an oral health necessity, you can get it on your insurance.
Gum contouring or sculpting is definitely one step taken towards a confident life. Your smile is always precious! To make it even more beautiful, contact us now.